Sam Houston State University
International Student Waiver Requirements
2018-2019 Academic Year
All international students attending Sam Houston State University who are in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa are required to have health insurance. Enrolled international students will have the insurance premium automatically charged to their student accounts. Coverage for Fall will begin on August 1, 2018 and end on December 31, 2018. You may apply for a waiver starting August 1, 2018 through September 17, 2018 if you already have coverage under an alternate health insurance plan that meets certain criteria requirements.
A. Criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Student is sponsored by the U.S. or a foreign embassy, recognized by the US and are compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or the sponsor will guarantee 100% payment of all health care expenses including medical evacuation and repatriation.
- Student is covered by a U.S. employer health insurance plan or by a parent/spouse’s U.S. employer health insurance plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
B. If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternative health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Unlimited maximum per Policy Year
- Pre-existing limitations – None
- $7,500 for repatriation and $10,000 for medical evacuation
- Individual Deductible of $6,350 – Network / $12,700 – Out of Network or less
- Family Deductible of $12,700 – Network / $25,400 – Out of Network or less
Please note: travel plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement will NOT be acceptable for waiving the Sam Houston State University Plan.
C. If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements, please proceed to the On-Line Waiver Process to submit your waiver request by following the instructions below:
- The front and back of your insurance card
- The insurance policy benefits summary, in English, that identifies you as a covered individual, provides the dates of your coverage, and clearly indicates that the coverage meets or exceeds the minimum requirement. Coverage amounts must be in US dollars.
- The proof of medical evacuations and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
All waiver requests must be submitted no later than September 17, 2018 to be considered for the Fall 2018-19 term.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR WAIVER REQUEST ONLY IF YOU MEET ONE OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA